Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mo'Nique Gives Best Performance In Acceptance Speech of Her Oscar Win




























Yes it's been awhile, I had taken a hiatus, but now that Mo'Nique finally cleared that tremendous hurdle of winning the Academy Award for best supporting actress, I had to come share my opinion and talk about others that I've seen posted other places on the web.

It seems that overall consensus is that Mo'Nique pulled a Whoopee and snubbed the Oscars with her acceptance speech. I take it in a different light, because being in the business, and seeing so many African American dramas shut down even before taping commenced, it is not only an honor but a privilege to see yet one more African American woman take home Hollywood's most prestigious award. I am proud of her, and in awe of her at the same time. She could have gotten very egregious, but she kept her composure, and what seemed for some like an angry disposition, i took it as a show of strength to prevent herself from openly crying. She wore a blue dress and a gardenia flower to show her respect to Hattie McDaniel, who was the first African American to win an Oscar for her supporting role in "Gone With Wind".

I must admit though, that I never was a Mo'nique fan, but I do respect her body of work. I just hope that she unlike so many other African American women that have either won or been nominated, begin to get offers of roles befitting her Oscar win. This has not been the case in Hollywood thus far, with the best example of that being Halle Berry, who won a Best Actress Oscar in 2001, for her role in "Monster's Ball", , has yet to receive the type of roles in film that Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock and others have been accustomed to being cast for.

At the end of her acceptance speech, the 44-year-old actress thanked her husband Sidney Hicks.

“To my amazing husband Sidney, thank you for showing me that sometimes you have to forego doing what’s popular in order to do what’s right,” Mo’nique said. “And baby, you were so right. God bless us all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment